Monday, August 23, 2010

The Journey Begins!

This time last year, I was putting the finishing touches on my Peace Corps application and dreaming of all the things to come. It is amazing how time flies! Today, I arrived in Miami for our staging event. Staging was a basic orientation where we reviewed policies, turned in paperwork and met all of the volunteers headed to the Eastern Caribbean. Tomorrow we leave for St. Lucia for a week of Peace Corps training as a large group. It has been exciting to meet everyone. We have an extremely diverse class-- there are people of all ages, from different parts of the country with widely varied backgrounds. I love the opportunity to get to know new friends and hear how we all ended up at this place in our lives!

Leaving for the Peace Corps has been a wonderful experience (I realize that sounds funny). It has been great to see old friends and spend extra time with family. I have had the opportunity to see how I have learned and grown through my work with the Girl Scouts. I know that I will miss the sweet mountains around Blacksburg and the friendly faces around town! I want to say "thank you" to everyone. In leaving, I have been able to fully comprehend what a lucky girl I am to be blessed with so many wonderful people in my life!

"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way." -Dr.Seuss

5 comments:

  1. Go get 'em Smithers!!

    Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive & go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
    -Howard Thurman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the EC family! I hope your service is everything you imagined!

    Mackenzie
    EC 81- Grenada

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an appropriate title to this post.... :)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very excited to read more about your journey. I understand the feelings... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah,
    My name is Chad LaRoche and it looks like I'll be heading to St. Vincent for a couple years as a youth developer! I leave for staging on January 27th. Just curious, what did you do to prepare yourself in the remaining weeks before you left? Did you find anything helpful, or did you just kick back and embrace the journey?? See you (more than likely) soon!

    ReplyDelete