Thursday, December 2, 2010

Vincy Hodge Podge

I promise, everyday I think to myself that I simply must post something but somehow by the middle of the day my mind is overwhelmed by all of the wonderful things that I could send your way that most of the time I just head to bed, satisfied with the fact that life is going along just as it should and not at all how I would have planned. But in an effort to keep this blog going and to explain what is so many times downright impossible to explain, I write again today. It is going to be a hodgepodge of my life in Vincy and the moments that bring me right to my knees.
Everyone, I mean EVERYONE, wants me to marry a Vincentian and stay here forever! It is funny, I hadn’t realized it until this past week but on a regular basis, I get asked if I have met any nice men or if I would like to be introduced regardless of what I say. I also am asked what my “requirements” are—money, age or Christian. I have come up with a variety of answers, the best being that I have my hopes out for the next Soca Monarch that won’t be announced until next Carnival (July) and that I would have no chance with anyways since he will be a major (or minor) celebrity after being crowned the BEST Soca artist in St. Vincent. I consider it a compliment—they want me to stay!
My library books were two weeks late! I had tried to return them twice but the library had an unscheduled closing those days. It is the end of the month so the librarian has to pay her bills. Anyways, I went to the library and of course, I ended up with a $0.90 fine and of course I did not have the money to cover the fine. Fortunately, there were a couple students who threw in their ten cent pieces and shillings ($0.25) to cover Miss Smith’s fines. I was able to check out a new load of books for class this week and I promptly returned the money during break the next morning. It was a wonderful feeling to have kids throwing out their small change to ensure that I could check out more books. They don’t have money, I don’t have money but together we can work it out.
Yesterday at the 4-H meeting we were working on creating Christmas Wreaths out of our handprints. In the States, I had run this activity a few times with no problems. Everyone traces their hands, colors them green and cuts them out. We put all the palms together and make a lovely little wreath. Well, the children of Layou made a whole new kind of wreath. There were long (LONG!) fingernails, red hands, green hands, purple hands and brown hands. I love it. They always give me a run for my money. At the end of the day, it is about giving the wreath to someone in our community who is less fortunate than us.
Finally, I have been teaching a composition class which I have basically kidnapped and turned into a Creative Writing class. It is FUN!!! Most of the students are not regularly encouraged to use their imaginations and write what they feel inside so it is really interesting to see what they have to say when there is no grade. My rule is that they have to write something but there is no judgement after that. Today, the topic was “If I could learn about anything I want.” I wanted to share a few of the responses:
Cheslon, “ I would like to learn about Haiti because I want to help those people affected by the hurricane and Cholera.”
Josh, “I would like someone to teach me to play football for me to get better at it.”
Marvin, “I want to learn about mechanics because I love to fix vehicles because vehicles take you anywhere you want to go.”

How could I not fall in love with SVG? Come visit… we will make you a lovely sign like the one below!

Also I would like to give my mom a big "Thank You!!!" for creating the Smithers' Vincy Gym, it has been put to good use and we are all much stronger for it!

2 comments:

  1. As always, thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I just love reading your updates. I'm so glad you're having such a great time with this experience. Take care and we all miss you!

    ReplyDelete