Monday, May 23, 2011

Update from the Group

By Jay Hinton

While waiting for Autumn to wake from a nap, I am looking out our window towards a back street of Layou. My view consists of a few homes on a tropical hillside with a large knob mountain behind them. One home is painted peach and white while the other is unpainted cinder block. Occasionally a car or person will pass on the road in front of the houses as the warm breeze blows and dogs and other animals can be heard in the distance.

I've been thinking of what it's like to be a brief stranger in a strange land. Often as our group walks around town there are many people we pass who just watch us without saying a work. On this island, "clear skinned" people are pretty uncommon so it just makes sense that people want to have a look at us. There are also those who will greet us with a "Good Morning" or "Good Day." On the other tend of the continuum we have had people that have spent everyday with us and that is what has really made me feel welcomed here. WE have gotten to know people who have gone out of their way to transport us, play with us, cook for and eat with us, organize behind the scenes for us, care for minor injuries and just be with us.

Carrying this thought forward, I thought of people who are in my home community but are not in their home culture or who just don't fit the mold of society. Am I the person just watching them pass by without saying a word? Sometimes I am. Am I the person going out of my way to help provide them with comfort, understanding and friendship? Sometimes I am. Can I do better? Absolutely, I can. Will it make me uncomfortable? Probably. But now I know that's what I need to strive to do more of.

There are teachers from Jamaica who will be in Cullowhee this summer. How can I/we go out of the way to befriend and help them? There's a family in Cullowhee from South Korea. There son is in Noah's class. We've already had some interactions with them but how can I kick that up a notch? There are students on our campus from Saudi Arabia. I've made friends with one but it's been mostly on my terms and turf. How can I/we expand on that? There are people in our community who have basic needs that aren't met or who are suffering due to negligence or abuse. I help some with them but it's mostly non-relational help. There is a Hispanic congregation in our church, what are we doing with them?

The experience here in St. Vincent has reminded me that Jesus gave the ultimate example of the power of relational living with those who are different and in need. He showed us amazing things can happen if we'll just take a step or two away from our comfort areas. I don' t think he wants me in a place so far from comfort that I feel in danger but being in a place of evolving challenger certainly feel like the example of Jesus for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment