Monday, May 30, 2011

Typically Untypical Day

I was asked to write a "Typical Day" piece for incoming volunteers. I am not sure that Peace Corps will actually use it because let's be honest, they might be looking for something a little more straightforward and I have found my life is a twisting, wonderful, often confusing ride these days. Anyways, I enjoyed reading over it and thought it would be worth sharing.

I would also like to extend my sincerest gratitude for everyone's love and compassion the past few months. It is through others that I continue to find myself. It is in that universal love that I continue to find hope.

My typical day, well that’s funny to say because since I arrived, every waking moment has brought anything but what can be called typical. So instead of trying in any way to suggest that my experience is par for the course of a Peace Corps volunteer or that I am doing it “right” because I was asked to write this; I have decided to write about what a typical untypical day in the life me, just a regular person who also happens to be a Peace Corps volunteer, is like living on the small island of St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Good days begin early in the morning. If my eyes open at 6am, I have enough time to do laundry by hand, prepare my lessons for school and to listen to all of the latest island tunes. I walk down to school, passing new friends along the way. There are more and more to talk to every day. At school, I take a deep breath and try to help kids believe in themselves. I let them be goofy. I give them hugs. I smile and let them know the world is their oyster. And plenty of days, this simple task seems monumental for that you will quickly see: poverty, injustice, abuse and oppression have created such a grave situation that to even begin to think about turning it around can often times be overwhelming. But don’t worry because despite there being a large task ahead of us, the volunteers, the rest of my day is always filled with more “hellos,” hugs and moments that make you realize how sweet Vincy life is.

If I could do it all over again, that is to say if I could have known something prior to arriving on the island, I wish that I had spent time thinking about how I can stand within my own power as a female on this island. The culture can be tough. You will be told that you are sexy and sweet more times than you thought possible. You will be challenged by the school environment and the speed of the vans. The heat can be overwhelming as well as the wash. You will see many familiar things in the stores but will be limited by your living allowance. All of the sudden, the things you took for granted will no longer be available or they will come at a high price. Music here can be loud. Life here can be loud. But amongst all of that noise, I know that if you try, you will find a special kind of peace, one that can only be found when you are forced to join others in community to make existence more bearable. So please, also, prepare yourself to have the time of your life. We are so excited for your arrival. Get ready for the whole experience, it is beautiful. That is the only thing I know for certain. Your next two years as a Peace Corps volunteer can be downright gorgeous if you do it your own way! Please pack all of the things you are good at; there is a place for your skill to be shared on this island.

No comments:

Post a Comment